This recipe for Buffalo Chicken Mac 'N' Cheese Casserole, I only happened to find online like two days ago on the Savour the Senses blog. Since I'm going away next week (back home to Montreal for a 10 day visit), I've been looking for particular recipes that Chris would like and ones that would stretch for freezer meals for lunch and stuff.
I suddenly realized this afternoon that I reminded myself of my mother! She used to make my father big pots of chicken curry only when she'd be planning a visit overseas to see my grandmother because she couldn't stand the smell otherwise. Luckily the smell of this Mac & Cheese was wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed my plate as well! But still...how sad!
And the next time I make this dish, I shall use a bigger dish!
Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘N’ Cheese Casserole
From the site Savour the Senses
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 8 slices white bread (cubed into small pieces)
- 5 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 5 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated jack cheese
- 1 pound cooked pasta (al dente)
- 1 lb cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot buffalo wing sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a 3 quart casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt 6 tbsp of the butter then whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk the mixture until golden brown (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly add the milk to the mixture, continuing to whisk to break up clumps. Continue to whisk the mixture until it thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Add the seasoning, 4 cups of the cheddar cheese and 2 cups of the jack cheese to the mixture, continuing to stir until all of the cheese is melted.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, buffalo sauce and onions and toss until well mixed.
- To build the casserole, place a layer of noodles over the bottom of the dish, then layer with the cheese sauce, shredded cheddar cheese and buffalo chicken, repeating until all of the food is layered.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter and toss with the bread cubes, then spread across the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 375F until top is golden brown and cheese is bubbling (about 30 minutes).